WEET-BIX SurfGroms offers youngsters aged between 5 and 12 years old the opportunity to learn how to surf in a fun, safe and supervised environment, whilst also learning vital ocean awareness and beach safety skills. These are essential skills for every child growing up around beaches/waterways in Tasmania. Surfgroms work through skill levels during their surfing programs, with all first time surfers starting at Level 1 in their first program, the grom can achieve more than 1 level per program if they show the ability to jump a level. At the completion of each level the groms will have their logbook signed off and a skill level wristband will be awarded.
WEET-BIX SURFGROM LEVELS:
- Level 1 – Designed for first time surfers – Ride white water waves and understand basic ocean awareness and beach safety. Tred water and attempt to swim 20m.
- Level 2 – Completed Level 1 and can paddle into and ride small unbroken waves, also complete Level 2 ocean knowledge requirements. Swim 50m in surf
- Level 3 – If completed Level 2 and can show control of the board trimming across small unbroken waves, swim 100m in surf.
- Level 4 – If you have nailed Level 3 then you will have to show basic skills of the bottom and top turns and open face cutbacks. Level 4 Ocean knowledge test & swim 200m.
- Level 5 – You will now be ripping and must show linking manoeuvres on open face medium sized waves. You will have to know all Level 5 ocean safety and awareness assessment criteria. You must also complete an Ironman style beach run/swim/paddle.
Coastrider Surf Academy prides itself on offering the very best SURFGROMS clinics in Tasmania. We are Tassie’s leading surf school not only for adults, but for SURFGROMS Programs as well, with 90% of parents/kids choosing Coastrider for their SURFGROM experience.